Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Isn't that your job

Since doing Emergency, every day I pray that there won't be too many patients. I know, isn't it a doctor's job to see patients. But it's not for me. 

Now I really know that I want to do a specialty with no or minimal patient/other healthcare worker contact. It's either Radiology or Pathology for me now. I'm sure of it. 

I think I would prefer being in the lab, making histology slides, interpreting biochemistry results, doing autopsies (yikes), dissecting organ specimens... or sitting in a dark room reporting Xrays/CT scans/MRI. For surely I prefer all that than the arduous emotionally taxing occupation of listening to people's complaints all day long. Not just the patient's complaints, the other staff too. 

I've met lots of patients who come in complaining of pain etc etc yet they have not tried anything for it. Come on people. Have some effort first. Go to the chemist or something. Don't just rock up to the Emergency department and expect us to give you a quick fix. I had this teenage patient who hadn't opened her bowels for 6 days. She was complaining of severe cramping abdominal pain. When asked, no, she hadn't tried to eat prunes, drink more water or tried any laxatives from the chemist. I was so annoyed. And she went all dramatic and clutched her tummy and screamed. Like someone in labour. The nurse said maybe we can give her manual evacuation of faeces...that'd teach her. True enough once I suggested an enema (medication up the bum), she wanted to go home straight away. 

It's tiring dealing with these things every day. I can't stand it. 

No comments: