My first patient of the day was a big burly man who had cut his finger the night before. He actually thought it would heal by itself by putting a plaster on it. Errr...
Anyway, the next day of course the finger was still cut so he came to our ED. When I looked at his finger...ya Allah... how can a person just put a plaster on that kind of cut??
He had sliced his finger that there was a "meat" flap coming off his finger. Can you imagine?? A MEAT FLAP. I could lift up the flap of flesh with tweezers. It looked like there was an extra lump of meat covered with skin with fingerprint patterns. YUCKIE. It was bleeding like mad when I started to wash it.
The smell of blood was overpowering. But I was fasting so I didn't feel like I needed to hurl. The patient wanted to puke though. He turned pale, clammy and was nearly going to faint. He needed a vomit bag.
When I injected the anaesthetic around his finger, he screamed and swore. It took me nearly an hour to put 4 stitches in. Reasons:
1. Because he left it for too long before coming in, his finger was all ballooned up. It was so ginormous that I couldn't pull the skin together.
2. There were intermittent power blackouts!! Haha! Of all things!
3. He kept feeling nauseated and sweaty that I had to stop and start while he inhaled some laughing gas
4. Because it took so long, I had to re-inject him with the anaesthetic because it ran out!
What an experience. I really wanted to laugh my guts out really. I did so at home. Here was a GROWN man, muscular, big macho man reduced to fainting and requiring laughing gas (women in labour use this) from the sight of blood and being poked with needles. No wonder he didn't want to come in. He was prepared to just leave the wound as it was; despite telling him it may get infected, deformed, scarred. He just said "Ah well, I never wanted to be a piano player or a hand model". LOL!
I'm sure he'll never come to hospital again!
3 comments:
Lol!! Eh kalau susah sangat boleh pakai general bius tak?
Oohh gas tu panggil laughing gas eh? I tak ketawa pun when i used it? Hahaha. In fact i hated it. I only used masa first labiur. I felt out of control and tak boleh focus.
But masa stitches they had to use ut on me because they said i was too stress and stiff. Wei mana ada? I macho tau. Ahaks!
no, to use general anaesthetic requires airway support so kene ada expertise i.e. pakar bius. susah la...just for a finger..not really warranted. hehehe
haah, nitrous oxide- panggil laughing gas or happy gas. i used it too masa labour. lebih rasa lalok ada la...pain tu tak hilang pon kahkah.
no, to use general anaesthetic requires airway support so kene ada expertise i.e. pakar bius. susah la...just for a finger..not really warranted. hehehe
haah, nitrous oxide- panggil laughing gas or happy gas. i used it too masa labour. lebih rasa lalok ada la...pain tu tak hilang pon kahkah.
Post a Comment