Monday, 6 September 2010

Wouldn't understand

I don't think I have really ever fasted in "foreign land" until this year.
Usually we still have iftars, meet up with fellow Muslim friends, go to the masjid so the "feel" is always there. People at Uni/hospital either don't care (nor were we there long enough for anyone to notice) or are otherwise pretty in tune and aware about Ramadhan.

But this year; not only do we live in Frankston (which has no masjid), we're working in Warragul where some people haven't even heard of Ramadhan except some of the old nurses.

There's lots of food around the department and the nurses always ask if I want a cup of tea. I would tell them "No thanks, I'm fasting". The responses would vary.

"Fasting? Isn't that unhealthy?"
"Ooo, how long are you fasting for?
"Kidding??? A month!?! "
"You can drink water, right?"
"What, not even water???!!"
"I couldn't do it. I'd prefer to go to hell"

And then I realised that no-one will understand why we fast and what motivates us until they themselves believe in Allah and the Last Day. Because, really, who would know whether you are fasting or not? Allah and yourself.You can say or look like you're fasting but honestly, no one knows if you really are except Allah. And what prevents us from just having a sip to drink to quench the thirst, just a small nibble from a biscuit except fear of Allah's displeasure? And why else would we "self inflict" hunger and thirst and fatigue upon ourselves if we didn't believe that we are being rewarded (not in this life, but the next)?

After all, to them that is what we're doing. Self inflicting hunger, thirst and fatigue..for what? God? The idea is incredulous to them. These are the people who say "Sometimes I think there isn't a god" just because the day is rotten.

May Allah preserve us all.

2 comments:

Lollies said...

Ameen.

May we become among the muttaqun.

If you don't believe, you won't understand why we are doing the things a muslim do. Hijab, solah, fasting would seem difficult for them. Praises to Allah dor bestowinf iman. May He keep us on the right path.

أم الليث said...

Alhamdulillah for the gift of faith and guidance.