I find it very frustrating when patients come in expecting a quick fix. For some things, yes, like wounds we can suture and dressing, constipation we can give enema. But most of the time, it takes time to heal. It just amazes me that this fact eludes most people in this part of the world. I don't know if this is universal or merely just a demographic thing.
If you're sick/ill, you need to rest and take your medicine. If you don't do this, then you'll get sicker or get better really slowly. I thought everyone learnt this since they were small children. Apparently not.
Multiple times I've sent patients home (or other doctors have sent them home with some medicine to take) and then a DAY later they come back saying "The medicine doesn't work". (Or even in the department itself, when patients have moderate pain and we give them oral pain relief. 15 minutes later they're saying "It doesn't work!'. Ya Allah. Wait lah at least 30-40 minutes.)
Well, of course it doesn't work straight away. Give it some time. You have to give some effort too. Like resting. Like not using that affected limb. Like actually taking that medicine. It is most frustrating!
No comments:
Post a Comment