Thursday, 9 September 2010

Khalas!

Alhamdulillah we made it!
One of the most important things i learnt this Ramadhan was that it doesn't take much time to do ibadah. Therefore the excuse "too busy, got no time" is not justifiable.

Yes, I timed myself. Reading one juzuk takes about 40-50 minutes. If you can spare 1.5-2 hours watching a movie, surely you can spare some time for the Quran. Plus, it only takes 15 minutes to read Al-Kahfi.. so no excuse to not read that on Friday night. One 2 raka'ah nafl prayer takes 2 minutes. TWO minutes! You can daydream for longer than that.

I am also learning how to focus and have khushu'. I have this hypothesis that we are distracted because well, shaytan is good at his game. But two, I always dwell on the past and think about the future. I am seldom in the present. When I am praying, I think about "Oh, I need to shop for groceries to cook this and that". "Oh I still haven't paid the rent. I'll do it after this". Or the past, like "Oh I really wish I hadn't said that", "Did I switch off the light".. "Should have I done this that".

I still need lots of improvement on this. Well, it is a "personality" trait I'm trying to change. A habit. Hope it will be successful.

Please share your Ramadhan stories/struggles with me too!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak, K aliya!

My biggest challenge for Ramadhan (apart from being too tired and sleepy at night time to concentrate on my solat, I can fell asleep dering mengaji tauuu) is still the basic caffeine deprivation during day time. The first week is always a "zombie" week for me, with minimal function at school *sigh*. Hate it when I "can't function" because I don't want fasting be an excuse to be slow or sleepy.

Where are you spending your Raya weekend? Datang city tak?

أم الليث said...

Hihi you are caffeine dependant.. Dont restart haha

I am working on raya and the weekend. You buat makan2 kan

Anonymous said...

haah, if you happen to drop by city sabtu ni datang la. First year kerja weekend raya pun kena kerja eh. but its good that your family is still here with you!!

أم الليث said...

no, i'm working until 8pm on both days :(
i'm in warragul by the way...with no car kehkeh.
my family is in Frankston, dear
thanks for the invitation though!

Anonymous said...

There are many habits im in the proses of changing. Thing is-kadang2 the ppl around dont understand. I dunno how to tell them that its a step to be a better person. Coz what they see is me not being of my normal self. Habits n all. Eid mubarak Aliya.

erika said...

My struggle this ramadhan: to come to iftar invitation. I found it difficult because: (1) Faisal's bedtime is around 7pm. He cant sleep if we're still out, so he would be unsettle --sleepy but cant sleep, hungry but cant feed well, excited with lots of people to observe but too tired-- which results in (2) me not being able to participate in Prayer. Thus (3) by the time we get home, I still have to put Faisal to bed (longer process as he had become unsettled), pray Isha prayer + tarawih, and prepare food for the next day. (4) Exhaustiiinnnggggg!!! as the next day Faisal would still get up at 5am/6am. (5) Plus, if the place is far away, there's another issue with keeping Faisal happy in his car seat. huhuhu :(

As a result, I missed lots of iftar invitation... and got some criticism for it :(((

How did you do it Aliya? Parenting is definitely not an instict!!!

erika said...

Oh, and I found it awkward when trying to breastfeed in public at those times --Faisal screaming, nursing cover lifted, and people staring at you. huhuhuuuuuu. S.O.S...

أم الليث said...

nusayba- eid mubarak! yeah..changing is harder when there is resistance from people around us.

erika- yes it's very challenging isnt is..especially if:
- you were very sociable before Faisal AND
- your friends are single/married with no kids yet

Faisal is still quite small..and you're still getting used to routines..even a small disruption of that routine causes much stress!

Sorry you had to deal with criticism..i hope they weren't from people who have kids too. If they don't, then well they don't understand how difficult it is. To bring a baby out is a big undertaking..I still remember it.

How I did it..I had to learn to say No. Yes, it made me a "party pooper" but for my sanity I just could not. If I went anywhere, I went early before many people arrived and left early.

Breastfeeding in public is a great skill to have! PRactice makes perfect hehe.

أم الليث said...

nusayba- eid mubarak! yeah..changing is harder when there is resistance from people around us.

erika- yes it's very challenging isnt is..especially if:
- you were very sociable before Faisal AND
- your friends are single/married with no kids yet

Faisal is still quite small..and you're still getting used to routines..even a small disruption of that routine causes much stress!

Sorry you had to deal with criticism..i hope they weren't from people who have kids too. If they don't, then well they don't understand how difficult it is. To bring a baby out is a big undertaking..I still remember it.

How I did it..I had to learn to say No. Yes, it made me a "party pooper" but for my sanity I just could not. If I went anywhere, I went early before many people arrived and left early.

Breastfeeding in public is a great skill to have! PRactice makes perfect hehe.

erika said...

Thanks Aliya :). It actually came from someone who have TWO kids. Maybe she'd just forgotten how it was to be a new mom of a young infant. The criticism made me think twice whether i've missed an important act in Ramadhan by not coming to the iftars, especially in the last 10 days. My logic said no --didnt Rasulullah s.a.w secluded himself in the last 10days?--, but the criticism gave a BIG yes!

Anyhoo.... I'm glad to hear that from you. At least I dont feel guilty for staying at home most of those nights...

Eid Mubarak again! We can have makan2 after I move to Frankston, in sha'Allah. Sure it wont be too late to replace the raya makan2 :P