Monday, 13 September 2010

All in a weekend's work

Oookay…they were a nice novelty but I'm kinda getting sick of open wounds and self inflicted fractures (versus accidental one).

I've had to see numerous wounds over the weekend. People are doing hobby work, sports, are drunk so the likelihood of injury is a bit high.
Among the few memorable ones:

1. 10 year old boy operating a ride-on LAWNMOWER, slipped and his leg fell onto the rotating blades. His shoe actually stopped the blades. His shoe was stuck to his foot and blood all over.
His toe looked like it was going to fall off because it was certainly dangling by the muscle.

2. A man who accidentally injured his knee with a CHAINSAW, took the skin right off one of his knees. Thankfully that was the only extent of his injury.
Still, he had to be transferred to metropolitan hospital because we don't have a plastic surgeon here.

3. An old woman peeled off the top of her finger with a potato peeler. It bled quoting her words "like a stuck pig". The top of her finger was gone. Nothing to stitch there. just dressing.In fact, I've had the same thing.

4. Teenage boy sliced his finger on the edge of sharp metal. I've had this too (ha ha). The nurse said he needed stitches…whaaaat. There was nothing to close. Just a clean cut, closed if finger in relaxed position. He had to wait 2 hours (anticipating stitches) only for me to tell him he only needed a bandage.

5. An old man who was standing on a wooden crate, his weight went right through the crate and on the way down, scraped the skin and muscle off his left knee on the jagged edges of the broken crate. He was wearing jeans by the way! He fainted at the sight of blood. He needed Plastic surgery but he didn't want to wait around so he went home! He said all he needed was a band-aid. Yikes! Is that macho-ism or actually underlying fear?

6. A man who punched his cow because the cow didn't want to move. Idiot. He broke the bones in his hand.

7. A slender boy said he was defending himself from bullies, he had punched someone in the back. He broke his own thumb in the process.

8. A man who had a big timber log roll over his ankle. It was swollen and deformed, he was in so much pain. He had broken both the bones in his ankle and dislocated it. Wowwwwweee…he needed 25mg morphine to get pain free.

I think the smell of blood is getting to me. I've been fasting so it didn't affect me too much. But I think if I had food in my stomach I would feel a bit queasy. The smell… it's just..erkk metallic… especially clotted blood.

1 comment:

Lollies said...

you cerita ni pun i rasa macam i can smll the blood in my nose. yang fresh, yang clot, menstruation and all.