Tuesday, 24 August 2010

Terrible shift

My first night shift was terrible. I have come to the conclusion that the set of nurses that are on when we are working really determines how that shift will pan out.

I had 2 bossy nurses on my shift. They wanted to run everything. I don't mind most of the time because they are very experienced. Some of them have worked there for 20 years. It'd be bodoh sombong not to listen to them. But they're a bit rough. Orang kampung kot?

Sometimes I get really hurt because they degrade me in front of the patient. I'm not a medical student and they are not my doctor/teacher. It's bad enough getting a dressing down by a senior doctor. But to take it from a nurse is just demeaning. We are not in the same profession. They do their work, we do ours.

Some of them take a full history at the reception counter. They ask all the questions we're supposed to ask the patients. Then some of them even have the gall to give a diagnosis. They may be right but it is not their place. They even tell the patient their "diagnosis" and tell them what the treatment is. But what if they're wrong? The responsibility for the patient lies with the person who has the prefix Dr. We are accountable in a court of law.

I was seeing a patient with symptoms suggestive of bowel obstruction. The nurse already told her she's got obstruction and she might need surgery (talk about causing panic). She's only 24 years old. When I was taking the history, the nurse was saying snidely to the patient "They keep asking the same questions don't they?". What was she trying to do? Hasut patient? Make me look bad? I need to hear it from the patient. I can't just rely on what the nurse has written in the notes. It turns out that patient had severe constipation.


Also yesterday, there was a patient with a fractured thumb. The nurse told him he's going to have surgery. Well, hang on. We haven't looked at the Xray yet. He was told by the nurses he had to be fasted. He was mad for being hungry! I looked at his Xray and discussed it with the Orthopaedic registrar (in another remote hospital, this hospital doesn't have one after-hours). The registrar viewed the Xray (on the computer) and he said "Just put a splint on it, painkiller and review by Orthopaedic surgeon in 1 week with repeat Xray". Okeh boss. I told the patient this and he was very happy.


The nurses weren't happy! They said "This is ridiculous. He needs an operation to fix his thumb". They told the patient he has to come back the next day to get operated on. The patient protested and said "Doctor said I dont need surgery". The nurse then said "Doctors usually get a different story over the phone so they don't really know what's going on". 

She said that in front of me. I felt so insulted. She's implying that we doctors have no clue what we're doing and they; on the other hand, know so much. She also said that in my presence.

At the end of the shift, I cried my eyes out. It was so stressful. I just thought HATE HATE HATE this job. Don't wanna be a doctor anymore.

Anyhoo, despite all that, things weren't too bad at work today. All the nurses on duty were my favourites. Too bad they swear and backbite a lot. Harap-harap tak dapat tempias kurang pahala puasa just by accidentally eavesdropping.

4 comments:

Datuk Layth said...

Haa be patient. This traditional 'battle' between senior nurses and young doctors has its parallel in other disciplines too. In engineering filed like mine, we have the 'senior technicians' group trying to be smarter than 'young engineers'. Yep, I did go thru such ordeal like yours when I was heading a structural inspection work during my younger days. No sweat, keep a cool head. The nurses may have 'won' small 'battles' but the doctors must still win the 'war'. I mean, at the end, they will quietly realize that the doctors were right.

أم الليث said...

ooo ok glad to know that. thanks Ayah. :D

erika said...

now i understand ur facebook status about rural hosp nurses. be patient aliya... hopefully by the end of the rotation, that would be a rare occurence...

drlola said...

yep2, i totally agree that the kind of nurses that share your work shift determines whether it is a good or a bad one.

usually the junior nurses are more helpful since the senior ones know that we dont know much and are inexperienced.

but here they dont go as far as giving the diagnoses to the patients.

life can be good if u are good to the nurses, but if they hate u then thats it lah..