Thursday, 26 August 2010

Socially challenged

Before we went to Warragul I stayed a bit longer at kinder when picking Layth up. Had a chat to Danielle (his teacher). She said Layth is talking much more English now and they can understand him.


But Layth still has no friends. He prefers to stay with the adult caregivers rather than join in the boisterous crowd of children playing. Whenever there's a group activity he clings with Danielle and doesn't want to participate. He's really scared of other kids. Especially those his age. He can warm up to older kids (5-7 year olds) like his Baba's cousins when we went back the other day.

I felt a bit sad. I know he has good social skills because we taught it to him. He knows how to share, take turns, say please and thank you and shake hands when greeting people. Maybe he's just so used to adults.

Danielle said Layth has a gentle nature. He's probably still affected by bad experience with children since a young age. In playgroup kids used to push him until he fell or grabbed his toys away from him.

I think because I don't have any friends with children around Layth's age whom I meet frequently or have play dates. So it's kinda my fault too. I don't socialise much. Some people (insensitively) say "Layth needs siblings". Well, okay fine, that is one solution but Layth is already nearing 4. Any siblings he gets will be too far apart from him to be a playmate anyway.

Maybe when we have more money, we can send Layth more frequently to kinder. Give him more exposure. Danielle said they'll try and introduce Layth gradually to engage with the other children.

I dunno, I think I prefer Layth to be friendless but gentle & good-mannered rather than a social butterfly but brash and unfeeling.

1 comment:

Lollies said...

Maybe his past experience with boisterous kids make him more cautious but i think it doesnt mean that it is something worrying. They will eventually come around when they find friends who are like them who prefer gentler game rather than rough one. Umur ni kids are rough and tak pandai share. So some children who are matured in their mind prefer to stay away than face the possibility of frustration, confrontation and the likes.

Zachary who was not send to nursery macam his older siblings were hanging on to me every inch i move whenever i take him out and there are other kids. Sekarang tengok, pandang i pun tak mau. On between i did send him to small playgroup and after that playschool. After more than a year baru ok sikit.

Layth will be alright. Kan laythkan? Layth nak tolong lap meja dgn jack tak?