Hey, I finally had time at work to look up my MRI images from 2 weeks ago when I had the acute disc prolapse. Kihkih.
So, ta-daa, this is an annnotated MRI picture of my spine/back.
The old prolapse (2005) is at L4/L5 disc.
The new is at L5/S1 disc.
The discs are labelled according to their location i.e. in between which vertebral bone. Those blocks are the vertebral bones and they are labelled L1, L2, L3 (L= lumbar), S1 (S= sacral).
The spinal cord ends at about L1. Below that the spinal cord expands into a cone of nerves called the cauda equina (horse's tail).
When the disc prolapses, it can press on the spinal cord/cauda equina or nerves exiting from the spinal cord. In both cases, it causes pain (but different locations and character). Also when the back/spine is injured, the back muscles become really stiff (spasm) to protect the back. This is the pain during an acute back episode. This is why someone can't straighten their backs.
Symptomatically I am improving at the moment. Alhamdulillah. I am no longer on any painkillers or muscle relaxants. I find that pain is positively correlated with fatigue. If I am tired, the pain will be +++. The more tired, the more pain +++. And the more pain ++, the more irritable I will be.
I still pray standing up but must sit down for sujud. The action of getting up from sujud to stand up again is the worst for me. I cannot run, jump. It's too hard.
But when I have no pain, lupa diri sikit. I pray normally (then regret it) or carry Layth or jump around or carry stuff or bend. It just seems quicker to do it.
Seram jugak nak masuk Ramadhan nih. Hopefully I won't require any painkillers at all. I don't want to break my fast just for that.
7 comments:
Ha ha......spinal cord ends at L5!Confused sebab tengok MRI T1 image which is fat-weighted.Cuba tengok T2 image akan nampak dia ends kat mid L2(not common to have this low).Normally between L1/L2.Cauda equina atas lagi.arrow yg tunjuk cauda equina tu ialah filum terminale...
haha...kena gelak dgn spine specialist
now u know level of anatomy knowledge of contemporary medical school graduates hahaha
ahhh bestnya ada docs in the family :)
i'm new to this disc prolapse coz no one has it in my family or extended family..
how did u get it? accident or due to carrying weights?
can it be recovered totally w/o surgery? i hope u will recover completely and soon..eh eh boleh preggy ker mcm nie? *curious mode*
mak ai, i didnt understand a single word what pakcik halim said (duk menggaru kepala) hehhehe
ditto Myra. hihihi
I skipped the first few paragraphs in the entry too. Hah melompat lagi! siap ada gambar 360 degree lagi! ahhaha.
I wonder if Screw has the same condition as you are. Hmm..
screw pun sakit belakang?
Dear Aliya I pray that Allah will make it easy for you this Ramadhan. May you be granted good health throughout this month. Otherwise, for any pain, may Allah elevate your level and expiate any sins.
Hug pun perlahan-lahan aje.
zan- hehehe.
disc prolapse mcm2 cause ada tp according to Dr Father in law, in my case it's probably because of collagen problems. collagen is in the ligaments. We have ligaments that protect the spine. so sbb kurang collagen, jadi ligament jadi longgar, more prone to disc prolapse.
it doesn't recover but you can manage the pain. the pain is chronic so treatment is lifelong. will have "good" days and "bad" days. the only definite treatment is surgery lah. but then i don't want surgery on my back. sensitive area.
boleh pregnant InshaAllah. in fact, probably won't even be different. i have sciatica with the disc prolapse and with pregnancy hahaha. cumanya masa pregnant susah skit la sebab takleh makan strong painkillers.
amirah- haha basically pakcik halim gelakkan aliya because salah baca MRI. hahahah. malu professionally and personally. ces
kak nina- ye ke..what happened to screw? i dah lose his blog address.
itu la kan..tak ingat langsung takleh jumping. haha. tp video tu misleading. bknnya jump beriya2 pun.
lollies- jazakillah ya ukhti!
Post a Comment