Friday, 28 May 2010

Time flies

I don't know if I'm too organised/efficient or if my surgical unit job is too easy; but I always finish everything by 11am and then have nothing else to do until the end of my shift. If my team is operating on a day, then it might be interesting as I can assist. But if we're not operating I would either go to the residents rooms and sleep, play games on my iPhone, go on facebook, blog or read books in the hospital library. Penat yang membosankan. Tapi tak boleh balik rumah. Memang bosan.

Maybe because my unit case load is not that difficult to manage. Apa je.. mastectomies, thyroidectomies, hernia repairs, cholecystectomies, the occasional appendicitis, pancreatitis, diverticulitis. Nothing major like the other units. My patients are mostly elective (come in specifically for an operation, then can go home in the next 1-2 days). My patients make up a spectrum. One half stay for ages and ages (one stayed for 6 weeks) and their discharge summary might be 5 pages long. The other half stay for perhaps overnight only. The consultants on my team are not on call most of the time so our patient numbers are stable.

My registrar starts late all the time. 8.30-9 (sometimes 10!) which is extremely late in surgery world. I go early anyway because I am paid to work from 7.30. So I wait around for him for a few hours. As the weeks passed I anticipate what the registrar's plan is and do them in advance while waiting around for him. That's probably another reason why I finish by 11am! He doesn't order bloods aimlessly so that saves me work from having to order (and take) bloods.

Next Monday the registrar said we're gonna start at 9am. Hahahaha. I hope the new medical student will not be too unhappy waiting around for us to arrive!

No comments: