Today I had to assist in a few cases with one of our infamous Prof. Lots of people have warned me about him; including the registrar. I woke this morning feeling very nervous. I read the morning Ma'thurat as usual but with more concentration and made lots of du'a. Hehehehe.
We did two total thyroidectomies, one hemithyroidectomy and one lap appendicectomy. My job was to hold the retractor and get out of the way when needed. Sounds like an easy job? I was shaking at the knees.
Prof is quite old- I think he looks 70ish; brilliant surgeon. His skills are admirable. Just looking at the way he handles the instruments is awesome. But he is the most intolerable man I have ever met. He is annoyed with everyone and everything. If you are 20 miliseconds late responding to him he will get angry. If you hold the retractor 1 degree skewed than what he wants it to be, he will get angry. If he can't cut something, it's the scissors' fault and he throws it away. If the scrub nurse hands him the wrong instrument, he throws that away too. He constantly says "tsk" or "tch", sighs in disappointment and grunts in annoyance which makes you think that nothing in this world can make him happy. I think it might be a vocal tic born from years of endless complaining and never being satisfied or approving of anything.
No one is spared from his wrath. The scrub nurse gets the worst treatment, I think. To be good at appeasing him, we need to read his mind.
Alhamdulillah I survived the day; only got told off twice and it wasn't that bad. My registrar said Prof was in a good mood today. That was a good mood?? God, spare me from his bad mood!
4 comments:
good mood kena marah twice! if bad? hehehe..minta2 dijauhkan lah...
apalah yg menyebabkan dia naik angin all the time. I remembered for me, walaupun i bukan doctor yg terer macam dia, nor am i terer in any field, is mostly because things are slow to my liking. And I rasa everyone out there irritates me. Entah apa2lah aku ni. I rasa tarbiyah for him is kena letak kat dia satu tempat yg dia marah pun orang bolayan aje kat dia. Balinglah ko apa benda pun, orang menyusahkan ko lagi adalah. Perhaps he should stay at my house for two years. My current house, when I think back, is my tarbiyah for me. Maybe it will for him. he he
k sara- hmm itu lar..sib baik good mood. nasib baik tak jumpa dah lepas ni any time soon! sib baik dia kerja kat hospital tu sehari je every 2 weeks!
lollies- hahaha
u can sympathise with him eh
tp dia marah mmg org bolayan aje. cuma depressing la bunyi org duk komplen aje memanjang haha.
but he is a really good surgeon and with patients he is quite friendly and caring. i think that's why ppl forgive him for being such an arse.
i guess he is on a better mood when he's not operating?
Post a Comment