Thursday, 27 May 2010

Honesty Basis

Our salary is paid on an honesty basis. We are paid per hour, as you know. Every 2 weeks we fill in a timesheet with the hours we worked. Then they pay us according to this sheet.

I suspect some people who just stay longer at work and then claim extra hours. Not because they have so much work to do; but rather they have not become efficient or organised and therefore take a longer time to finish their job. Or they spend that extra time doing non urgent jobs that could be done the next day anyway.

Overtime is lucratively paid over here. Overtime is twice the rate of normal working hours. Someone can earn an extra $100 a day just staying back for extra 2 hours. So there is motivation for someone to "stay back a few hours".

I'm not into this staying back thing. I go home on the dot; I never want to stay longer than I'm supposed to. Lagipun, it's a bit dishonest and unfair to stay back for extra hours just because you're not organised enough or unable to relinquish control delegate to the next shift doctors. You should learn to finish your job in your working hours. This just rewards people who take ages to get their job done. Of course, going home late because of valid reasons tu takpe lah. I do remember patients crashing just a few minutes before the end of my shift. Tak dapat nak elak la benda camni.

Tapi takpelah tak aci pun. Duit orang camtu banyak tapi kalau tak halal tak berguna jugak.

2 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

erk. akak pun selalu balik on the dot. but now i have to linger extra 30 minutes just because the boss told so. tension!

Zidni said...

if my company compensates for people staying back at that rate, it will probably go bankrupt