Saturday, 6 February 2010

Reality

As much as it is exciting to receive my own paycheck and fantasizing about accumulating funds for hajj and going for umrah as soon as possible or that long-anticipated holiday to somewhere interstate; reality bites me and tells me I have a few debts to settle first.

I owe friends some money. We owe Mercy Mission some money because we had pledged a donation to them but couldn't pay them during our student years because of financial difficulties. We owe another Islamic institute some money because we didn't have enough money to pay for their course fee and the textbooks at the time (yet they let us enrol anyway MashaAllah).

Least of all to be forgotten of course; dear M@ra's big debt. Since being overseas would mean significant fees for international bank transfer I don't think I'll let them cut my salary to pay them back. I think I will just set aside an amount each month and then just pay them the lot. InshaAllah.

Why this entry? Because I received my first newsletter as an alumni of the University of Melb0urne. Guess what they asked for?

Money, of course! Freaking unbelievable! People give them money to study there. A lot of money. Then when students graduate; they ask for donations one month postgrad. I don't know whether to laugh or sigh in frustration. Adoi

4 comments:

Intan Saleh said...

mara dah minta duit ke? setahu aku, it's gonna take a year at least before they settle the paperwork if you go home and report yourself. if you dont, they will ask after 2 years.

ahaha.. tak payah la layan unimelb minta duit tu.

haundem said...

kenapa kena bayar balik? scholarship kan?

takpe,slow2,insyaAllah akan dpt ada peluang :)

أم الليث said...

intan- tak, belum mintak lagi but since it's not a small amount of money i thot better simpan jugak. makin lama nanti bnyk lak hutang/expenses.
melb uni guna psychology u know.. "to give back" cewah. i do feel some obligation sbb donation alumni la aku dpt student grants dulu. but later2 la kan...ni baru nak kerja..adoi.

masyitah- nope. jpa je scholarship. mara convertible loan. so kalau graduate tak yah bayar 100% loan..just 1%. 1% pun hefty amount jugak la hehehe.

Zidni said...

btul tu. give it some time first. baru je start kan.

my engineering honors society keeps asking for money. without fail. i keep getting the newsletter. never replied once. hehe.