Friday, 19 February 2010

All for a spot

When I had a chest Xray done for my student visa in 2004, there was a small white spot in my left lung on the Xray. The radiologist called it a "granuloma" on the report and that set off a series of events. For non medics; a granuloma is suggestive of tuberculosis.

My grandmother cried because she thought that would mean I couldn't go overseas to study. She set up an appointment to see their Respiratory Physician to check it out. The specialist said it was not a granuloma; probably just a scar of an old chest infection. Besides, I was well and healthy, have had my BCG injections and never had contact with people with active tuberculosis.

Recently I had another chest Xray done for my work visa. Obviously the spot would be there again. The radiologist here also reported it as a "granuloma". As a result, our visa application is pending until it is further investigated. Lecehnya.

I had to attend a Migrant Screening Clinic yesterday all the way in Western Hospital (my old training hospital in the city). After an hour's drive and battling traffic jam on the highway, a hot day, shitty parking, waiting 1.5 hours for a 5 minute consultation with a condescending Pakistani doctor who asked me if I could speak English or not (!!!) - they told me it's just nothing and they'll tell Immigration to resume our visa application.

All for a spot. I'm sure the same problem will arise next year when we apply for PR visa!

8 comments:

haundem said...

every year kena renew PR ke?

أم الليث said...

masyitah- tak, tahun ni takleh apply PR sebab belum fully qualified. so kene guna work visa. nanti bila dah habis internship boleh je teruskan work visa tp kitorg nak apply PR visa sbb lagi bnyk dpt benefits like government funded/subsidised health care huhu.

أم الليث said...

plus kalau ada PR visa, more or less ada job security

Anonymous said...

eh, where r u working now? Not western anymore?

أم الليث said...

rusy- eh i've never worked in western hihi. itu clinical school ku sahaja. i work & live in fr@nkst0n.

Anonymous said...

eh yeke! so last sem u were still in med school? I tot u were n intern! haah laaaa i saw u kat locker room once!! hahaha nyanyuk!

Zidni said...

I don't get it... is it granuloma then?

أم الليث said...

rusy- haha wah flattered akak org ingat dah doctor dah time tu kahkah.

zidni- no it's not. radiologist can't be certain of what they see on the xray..they can only guess. but the trouble they create!