Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Mummy's brain

They say when you have a child/ren you get the mummy's brain i.e. hard to commit things to memory, misplace things, lack of concentration and short term memory loss. Some have gone far enough to say childbirth kills some neurons; that's why you get mummy's brain. In short: absent-mindedness.

From my own experience I think it's quite true! But for me I think I have a chronic inability to concentrate now. It originates from heavy duty multitasking that is required from a mother.

Try having a conversation with your hubby when he comes home and your little boy starts talking to you and wants you to respond. He then climbs the chair and uses the backing as a fireman's pole to slide down. You interrupt your hubby mid-sentence to say to your son "No, get down!" and have a small conversation with your son so he doesn't feel ignored. Then you re-start the conversation with your hubby again while in the meantime setting the table for dinner and getting your little boy to wash his hands before dinner. You then try to eat dinner while having a conversation with your hubby and also making sure your son does not play with his food. You entertain his eating whims like wanting kicap on his rice or wanting strawberry milk or wanting someone to gaul his rice with the kuah. Then your son wants to go to the toilet and you interrupt dinner and the conversation to bring him to the toilet. Then he wants to play in the other room but you haven't finished eating so you continue eating while subconsciously (if that's possible) supervise from afar with acute hearing abilities and eyes at the back of your head. Baru anak satu!

Sometimes my brain feels like a messy room of wires slithering everywhere. I cannot concentrate on just one task. I don't think it's good though. Especially when driving; I'm thinking of what to cook for dinner, when to pay the toll bills, what to add to the shopping list. Huarghh

It's 6pm. Time for another round of the above scenario :p

7 comments:

zan said...

te he he...i really felt the shorten short term mem after the 1st birth..i became really pelupa, really obvious, the 2nd one, not so bad sebab consume iron? err u see dah lupa kah kah kah..

but really i was LOL reading your entry coz i can relate to mine as well. I think all mothers have gazillion things on their mind :)

IKHWANI said...

welcome to the world of mothers!!!!

as you mentioned..tu baru anak satu!!

most of the times I opened the fridge door and I forgot what I supposed to take..balik sekolah lagi lah..bombarded with all sort of questions..baru jer tadi on the way back, faris asked me:

zina tu apa??? (I explained) then tanya lagi kenapa orang kawin boleh dapat anak? macam mana dapat anak tu??? lepas tu datang soalan lain pulak...

So, camana lah nak ingat??? nowadays I easily get upset when my husband asked me where HIS things are!! as if I am supposed to remember everything!! there!! hehehehehe....

Ummu Auni said...

akak dah pening dengan soalan anak akak..hihi

BeeLOVE said...

hihihihi can't stop gigling reading ur entry and all the above. am already signing up to join you all

Ammi Sara said...

Been there, done that & still doing it.Hehe..the more of them the more chaotic it becomes.Imagine me with 3. Now br tau it's called mummy's brain..hmm..
At the end, that initial conversation with hubby lgsg tergantung! Dia yg duk makan tp 'meng observe' kelam kabut kita pun lupa ape yg kita tgh borak kan. Now i wonder whats that called??

أم الليث said...

zan- yes i love it when people can relate. hehehe. so tak lah rasa kita aje yg experience this short term memory loss hahaha

OO- hahahah! my husband sejak awal2 kawin lagi suka tanya mana barang dia. so now kene sentiasa on the ball and know where his stuff are. siap sediakan bekas special for him to put his wallet, keys, watch when he gets home.
layth tak sampai lagi stage tanya bnyk soalan. no WHY questions yet!! nasib baik :p later2 lah hehe

kak aini- tp bagus..keeps us creative!

farah- heheh soon you'll be able to share with us your experiences!

kak sara- haah kelam kabut kan. let's just stop trying to have a conversation when there's chaos..hahaha. borak nanti la bila anak dah tidur or sibuk dgn aktiviti masing2. serabut kepala otak nak buat 3-4 benda serentak

Zidni said...

women are blessed with multi-tasking, but there's also a limit...