Day 2 into my rehab rotation. Okay I thought I'd give it a few days before writing anything about it just in case in turns out to be interesting. Not!
Okay, the rehab ward is about 5 minutes drive from my house. It's a one storey building which looks like Seri Malaysia hotel. It is a plus-sign shaped building (bird's eye view). You enter from the north wing then there's south, east and west. Each wing has 10 patients and the whole corridor is colour coded (pink, yellow and blue).
I do the SAME thing every single day with only a few exceptions.
8.30 start! Woo hoo. Loving it. I can actually eat a tolerable breakfast at home.
9.00 Consultant ward round starts - the ward round is really slow. We only see half the patients each day. So 15 patients today, the other 15 patients tomorrow. The patients are either chatty, have lots to complain or have multiple issues. By the 10th patient, my registrar & I we just tumpang duduk on the patient's wheelchair or wheelie walker. Penatlah.
12.00 Ward round finishes!!!! The drug charts here are computer generated. So any changes to the patient's medications has to be amended on the computer. But the inefficient thing is we still have to print it, sign each box and write the time of administration of the drug just for a written drug chart. Kelecehannya! Anyway I then spend an hour doing this electronic drug chart amending.
1.00 Lunch break..woo hoo! Ada lunch break! Hebat tak. Sejam plak tuh.
2.00 Make admission notes for newly admitted patients and do examination and type out the drug chart
3.30 Prepare discharge summaries for patients to be discharged the next day
5.00 ON THE DOT - out of the door! Hehehhe.
5.05 Sampai rumah. Kihkih.
The job is predictable and quite busy (TONS of repetitive paperwork!!!!!!!!) but the nurses are not demanding at all and the best thing is I DO NOT HAVE A PAGER. Things are not fast paced around here. The patient's discharge date is planned in advance, not suddenly on the very morning.
The only problem is that the patient numbers never change. There will always be 30 patients to look after because as soon as one patient is discharged, another patient is sent for from the main hospital into rehab (and therefore need to be formally admitted). Lots of patients are waiting to go into rehab at the moment. Sometimes they have to wait unnecessarily at the main hospital because there are no rehab beds. My day is filled up with paperwork. Not that I covet the patient contact. Because all the patients you found annoying in the main hospital; well, they're here in rehab!
Every Thursday I get the afternoon off so I only work for 4 hours. Heeeeeeee :D InshaAllah I'll be organising a Bulugh al-Maram class during that time. Sape nak join, dipersilakan kihkih.
Pictures and story mory about patients tomorrow!
2 comments:
SAYA NAK JOOOINNNNNN!!!!!!!
ketawa bahak-bahak part ni
"Because all the patients you found annoying in the main hospital; well, they're here in rehab!"
Did you meet any of your old (eh pun ke ni?) patients?
nak join kerja ke? hihihi
GAHAHAHA itu la..patients kat hospital hari tu yg tak sabar2 nak halau..semua pesen dia kat rehab tuh
only one of my old patients ada kat rehab tu. but she's such a sweet and pretty old lady. the kind that you just want to hug
Post a Comment