Friday, 4 June 2010

On the lookout

We're searching for a new babysitter since Alak's stay is nearly over. I always find this searching job quite frustrating. Most of it is tawakkal 'ala Allah. Whomever Allah sends my way I just accept into my home even though I don't know them that well to begin with.

My most frequent obstacle are the parents . Understandably, they are not quite willing to let their child go overseas and live in a near-stranger's house. That's why I mostly target anak-anak makcik/pakcik since our parents have a high likelihood of knowing each other. Even so, parents are not willing to let their adult children be "off 'proper' work" or "off study" for 3-6 months. (my parents included hahah!). Rugi la katakan. A blank in one's resume. But that is the mentality of our society, so be it.

Selingan: the culture here is that they encourage young adults to take a few years off; to travel, to volunteer, to work part time and do anything they want before or during the commitment of study or work. I really like this concept. Accumulating lots of out of work field experience.

Anyway, back to my entry. For some insane reason (borne out of years of conflict-derived suspicions), sometimes I think that I am the reason parents don't let their kids come over. After all, I haven't had any continuous formal Ikhwani tarbiyyah for the past TEN YEARS. No doubt people think I'm wayward already. (Erk, I didn't say I never had any tarbiyyah at all, ok, don't misunderstand. I am a proud student of AlKauthar Institute).

Judging from what Alak's told me about what her mom's advice to her; it seems like she is fearing for Alak's mortal soul by living here with me. Do they think I would corrupt them into Western ideologies and ways of life? Do they think that their children won't pray or take off their hijab once they're here? Hihi!

Anyway, I am most grateful to Alak and her parents for letting her come here. I'm glad they did decide to loan her to us for a short while. She's been a great help and we will miss her when she returns home.

Now, less than a month to go to secure a new babysitter/helper.

3 comments:

Uswah said...

haha tula..susah nak cari orang yang betul2 free dari keje opis ni.. kalau kite, nak sangat pegi sane!! bawak ikram boleh? hahahha ;p
Semoga Allah memudahkan urusan akak untuk cari pembantu..

أم الليث said...

Haha!! Abih suamimu nk letak mana?

InshaAllah dh ada potential candidate. Tgh tunggu; as usual, parents approval

Zidni said...

so you sponsor the passport and ticket to aussie?