Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Can't stand it

I can't stand all the paperwork that I am forced to do at the moment. Most of them are a waste of time. Day after day I have to write things multiple times on different forms. I use my signature more than 50 times a day. I spend half the day in front of the computer that I'm starting to get beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome.

On Monday I discharged a patient who had 21 medications. I spent nearly an hour preparing by typing and organising her computerised discharge prescription. 2 hours later, they tell me because she can't take her own meds and need a nurse to administer them when she goes home; I was asked to fill in a WRITTEN drug chart and a list on a form for the district nurse. 21 medications times 2!!!! I was so fed up with this!!!!!!! Sangat bengang 100x.

Today we decided to discharge someone tomorrow. The registrar noticed that when the patient was admitted 2 weeks ago, the person who admitted wrote notes on regular paper and not in the admission form. She told me to copy everything in the notes onto that form. I was so bengang again!! I mean, the patient is going home tomorrow! Of what use is duplicating the information onto a special form now? The registar said well you'll get into trouble when they do the paper audits. Argh!!!!

Then the allied health also have these special forms which I call permission slips now. I need to approve whether a patient can have hydrotherapy (fancy word for playing in the pool) or not. Which means another form for me to fill in too. The occupational therapist plak keep bugging me with driving assessment forms for patients who can't drive after a stroke. Bukan 2-3 form...like 5-6 forms!

Same with the diabetes ward round. Every Wednesday the diabetes team comes and we do a paper round. This is another form to fill for all patients who have diabetes. So in that form I write the recommendations made by the diabetes team. But get this. After that, I have to copy the recommendations into the patient's history file. Then write any changes to the drug chart then also type in the computer the new drugs added/changed!!! Isn't that most inefficient????

ARGHHHH!!! I AM SO FED UP. I find it hard to smile at work.

No comments: