Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Desperado

Being an intern, basically what comes out of my mouth is "Yes", "Okay" or "I'll do it". I have not used my brain in ages because I have not been required to. I am merely a secretary who is seen but not heard. My fast typing skills and organisational skills is what is helping me do a good job; not the 6 years worth of medical education.

But in rehab...wow! Even though I am still the seen-not-heard secretary, at least the staff have the decency to call me by my name. Or even find out my name. Or find out from another nurse what my name is. The consultants actually know my name too!!!

Every Wednesday we have diabetes ward round with all the patients there who have diabetes. Anyway, the Endocrine registrar from the main hospital comes over to do this round with me.

I've known the Endo registrar since I first started working. She's the one we make Endo referrals to, to ask advice for patients' diabetes medication. She's the gentle grumpy type. Soft voice but she has a temper. She shoots the messenger a lot; therefore she has shot me a lot.

Okay even though we've crossed path multiple times; it's only in rehab that she bothers to ask my name. And she acted as if she's never seen me before haha (we interns probably all look like identical twins). And today she even asked me how my weekend was and what I did and actually looked interested to hear!

I felt so honoured; being treated as a person at last in rehab! Sah memang desperado betul. Heheheh.

No comments: