Monday, 1 March 2010

Protests

Since getting all these greetings for Maulidur Rasul I have been feeling ill at ease. My heart protests too much that I need to verbally protest.

To all, my family and I do not "celebrate" Maulidur Rasul. Based on the knowledge we have and our beliefs that it is a bid'ah act. There are no authentic hadiths about when Rasulullah was born - there are numerous different dates reported on which he was purportedly born but the variability of this itself is indication that Rasulullah did not deem his birthdate to be important nor that he encouraged it to be celebrated.

We know for certain that the date is the date when he passed away so if people do want to do some remembering (even if once a year for some people), then please remember his death and the implications of it.

You are entitled to your own opinion but this is mine and please take any benefit from it if Allah wills.

Wallahu a'lam bissawab.