Sunday, 21 March 2010

Age is no matter

I like to guess people's ages. I always get them wrong. I always think they are older. Especially senior doctors. Some of the senior doctors (registrars) are younger than me. Here I am at 27 and I'm on the bottom rung. People just assume that just because you're an intern, you are still very young.

When I just started working people used to treat me like a little immature kid. Do I still look 20? Surely having 1 kid and medical school would've given me a few wrinkles?

Then after settling in for a while and getting to know people and people started to know me and know I have a husband and kid then slowly people started to treat me like an adult with adult mental faculties. I even started wearing a ring as the ring is a very cultural thing here (even though I hate wearing jewelry). If they see the ring, they know you're married without you having to explain it.

And the good thing about the ring is that since they can assume that you're married, then you must be old-er. Coz young people don't get married. Have I confused you yet? Hehehe

One thing I'm thankful is there are no miang people here.

4 comments:

IKHWANI said...

am also not wearing my wedding ring coz many times i rasa rimas bila nak wudhu' i suka bukak not just turn the ring around the fingers..perhaps jari i gemuk sebab tu rimas :p

necklace lagi lah rasa cam tercekik!!

zan said...

OO : LOL u'r funny!!

yelah i notice the westerners have this mindset, that if u wear a ring, then u'r married. ring does tell a lot of stories don't they.

u'r are 27??? tak cayalah saya coz u don't look like one!!

أم الليث said...

OO- hahah so true. i rimas also pakai ring yg berbatu. selalu tersangkut on clothes esp kat sini kan pakai woolen clothes. argh. and susah ler pakai cincin berbatu to work because selalu kene pakai latex gloves..terkoyak!!

zan- yg lawaknya kat sini, kene pakai cincin tangan kiri for it to be a wedding band. lecehnyer. bila nak gi toilet, tukar cincin ke tangan kanan ahaha.

yes i'm 27..how old are you? eheheh

Zidni said...

behold! you must bear the ring then... hehe