Sunday, 14 March 2010

Patients have patience

Lately the nurses keep complaining to me that their patients keep getting angry at them and being very rude to them. I asked them what was the problem. They said the patients are fed up for having to wait so long for a doctor to come and see them. Some even shout at nurses. Poor nurses.

As I have written in a previous entry, in a public hospital patients are seen in order of clinical urgency i.e who is sicker. So it may take the whole day for the doctor to come to see the stable patients. Why can't people be patient? People nowadays have this "I deserve this" attitude. They forget that their stay in hospital is FREE. If you or your family were acutely sick, you'd want doctors to attend to them first, wouldn't you?

What is so horrible about waiting around in the hospital which is airconditioned, has paid cable TV for EVERY bed and nurses to wait on you hand and foot and bring you cups of tea if you ask for it? If you are bored, watch Foxtel (macam Astro) or buy a tabloid magazine or borrow books from the hospital library (yes, there is library service for patients!). And no one said you have to lie in bed all day. By all means go for a walk! I know how boring it is. I've stayed in hospital for a week. I read books, magazine and hubby brought in my laptop and we watched DVDs on it.

These people are only ego-centric. They think they are the only people who are sick in that hospital. Or the only person who pays taxes and therefore deserves better treatment. The nurses were saying these people are so ungrateful and they should try and live in a developing country. I agree.

Air conditioned? Yeah rite. One ward would have 30 beds and just 4 fans while it's 33 degrees. Paid TV? Talk about NO TV whatsoever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've stayed in a hospital for a week myself. As long as I knew I was going to be checked on by a doctor, then I'm a happy camper. Duduk hospital macam duduk hotel juga (sikit2). Even hotels don't have complimentary laundry, and meals served in bed.

Zaid said...

you must have a lot of patients to become a doctor!

أم الليث said...

nusayba- yeah i'm pretty sure you would not verbally abuse the nurses!!

zaid- oh yes. i agree. but i certainly could do without some of them!