Thursday, 18 March 2010

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSSSY

Yesterday was Harmony Day at work. Everyone had to bring a dish that most represents their culture and we'd have a jamuan at lunch time (around 12 noon). I had been so indecisive over what to bring because it really depends on what I have in my kitchen (I don't have time to go shopping for ingredients etc) or my mood. First I thought of ondeonde, then popiah, then cucur udang then cekodok pisang! In the end I decided on lengkong buah aje la.

I wanted to make lengkong/beledo/jelly but hubby didn't have time to go buy the ingredients so ended up cooking nasi lemak instead. Very easy pun especially since hubby had blended the onions and cili kering for this week. It only took me 20 minutes the night before.

Anyhoo, it just so happens that yesterday was the busiest day I have ever had. Usually the ward round in Emergency (new admissions for Medicine) would finish around 11 but yesterday it was only 2pm when we actually finished! So I missed the feast. I couldn't serve the nasi lemak in the end! :( But it was okay there were tons of other food - looked like it could last a month! Spent 10 minutes eating some of the food before continuing the ward round on my ward (which by the way, finished at 4.30pm).

There was also some friction with the head nurse too because he wanted to clear some room for the feast. The original idea was to discharge 2 patients and use the area for the event. But it was impossible for me to go and discharge the patients as I was busy in Emergency with the new admissions (yes I wish I had a clone too). So he was a bit grumpy and stressed out. In the end they cleared out the narrow handover room for the feast (only 4 people can fit in that room) hehehehe and everyone just ate standing up in the corridor.

And because of my sheer busy-ness due to high number of new patients, at 5pm I still hadn't done my paperwork and the well patients were getting impatient because they can't go home until I write discharge summaries for them. To make it worse, the nurses were coming to me for this and that all at once; interrupting my work and making me lose my train of thought. Dah lah it was the first time in 10 hours that I could sit my butt down. It was so rimas I couldn't stand it!

I wrote a big DO NOT DISTURB sign on a piece of paper and stuck it to the back of my head. That solved the situation for a while. Unfortunately people couldn't stop interrupting me to tell me I had a sign on the back of my head instead. One nurse thought since I couldn't be disturbed, she paged me instead. That is disturbing too okay! HAHAHAHA. They are hopeless. Hubby said next time run away to the doctor's common room with all the files and do my paperwork there. Haha.

At the end of the day my feet were aching and my legs were swollen and tender from standing up all day in horrible shoes. I need to buy better shoes. Stop being so stingy/ kedekut by buying $6-$30 shoes from K-mart. I could not walk any longer and prayed Asar, Maghrib and Isha' sitting down at home.

Now I know the true meaning and nikmat of "putting one's feet up". It is divine!

6 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

kesiannya...that's why i don't take up medic :P

IKHWANI said...

i know how that feel!

rendam kaki dalam air panas campur garam. it worked for me.

zan said...

ouchh!!! takde org dapat merasa your nasi lemak? selalu ker ada harmony day nie?

أم الليث said...

kak aini- hehe ye ke....
no one tells u about these things in school. semua orang suh budak2 high scoring jadi doctor sampaikan they themselves think they should be doctors. no one tells them what the job entails.

oo- will keep that in mind next time! lepas ni ada 14 hour shifts berturut2.

zan- hehe tu lar. nasib baik tak susah payah masak nasi lemak tu. kalau tak, sure frust. as it goes, we had the nasi lemak for our dinner instead :)

muna khaider said...

haha selambe akak tampal sign tu. i thought u were joking bila tulis status kat fb tu.. hehe..

teringat masa kat skola i wore tudung terbalik on purpose too, sbb nak mengecat dinding, then ada makcik ni tegor takut2 "er.. adik tau ke tudung terbalik" heheh

dulu ana slalu fikir tanak jd doc sbb suffer masa belajo, and suffer masa kerja huhu..

أم الليث said...

muna- hahaha no i wasn't joking. sungguhlah desperate masa tu. rimas sgt..rasa nak tarik2 rambut.

heheh pakai tudung terbalik? bijak tu!
bijak tak pilih jadi doctor. ;)