Alhamdulillah we just got our work visa approved and had appropriate stickers stuck in our passports.
The past week was a low week for me. Mostly because of some rude patients whom I perceived to be racists due to their insulting words. After a while I found out they were also rude to the white nurses as well so it probably wasn't racism; just pure rudeness.
I shouldn't have taken it up but every day I read the newspaper at the residents' common room. Every day there are anti-Muslim, anti-migrant articles and comments in the newspaper. It really disheartens me a lot. Common now are comments like: "we shouldn't let these muslims come here in the first place"... "in a few years we'll be f***king overrun by hijabis". Lots of comments made about halal meat (how allegedly "inhumane" it is), polygamy, shari'a laws and all things Islam. Kuffars talking oh-so-knowledgably against things that to us are God's Laws.
People are only afraid of what they don't know. Do the people here think that only the immigrants are Muslims? Go back to your country they say. There are tons of true blue "Australian" (however they want to define that word) or white people who are Muslims. So where do you want those white Muslims sent to?
Anyhoo, did some monologuing and discussed with a friend of mine. Here are my conclusions:
1. There are things out of our control. In this case, we cannot possibly make everyone understand about Islam or even accept it. Throughout time there will always be people who are anti-Islam/Muslim.
2. The racists are right. They say "get out of here" and "if you don't like it here then get out". So yeah I agree. If we don't like it so much here and can't stand the crap treatment, then why would we stay? If we want to stay then perhaps we have to endure it.
3. I don't think I'll be too accepting of increased immigration happening in Msia anyway. So why should I be bothered about the opinion here is like? I would probably think the same way so how does that make different from the "racists" here?
4. Poor Australia. I don't think they're a racist country as frequently thought for ages and ages. Only a minority are like that. Most are decent well mannered people.
5. I will stop reading the newspaper. People can have opinions. People say anything these days. Sometimes a comment in the newspaper may only reflect the opinion of 1-2 people but it's made to seem like most people are thinking that way.
1 comment:
Throughout my trip... i didn't hear or see any of those huha. Perhaps I didn't read any newspaper when I was there (cuti kan.. ) or have to stay longer to experience the sentiment
Post a Comment