Sunday, 7 March 2010

Still a lot

Who has read Dan Brown's books? I've read Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and The Lost Symbol. The movies were good but didn't do justice to the books (no surprise). I liked the movies because I could see what the book was talking about especially with regards to the places, sculptures and buildings.

Despite a recurring storyline in all 3 books (there's always a woman intellectual who helps the main character, people dying gruesome deaths and a treasure hunt like plot), they were all pretty good and had lots of interesting facts that I thought "Oh wow, I didn't know that". I also like the science versus religion arguments in it. In the book, "religion" is always defined as Christianity. Same goes with secularism...separation of government from religion; the religion being Christianity. I wonder what would happen if science had a debate with religion; with religion being Islam. It might be enlightening. But then it would create extreme controversy.

Interesting things in the books:
- there was a priest who was also a scientist (who says we can't be both eh?) who was attempting to prove the Big Bang Theory and that a power (i.e.God) had started the reaction and it didn't happen spontaneously (Angels and Demons)
- the scientist was proving that human intention could cause something tangible and she also attempted to weigh the human soul to prove its existence (The Lost Symbol)

The reason I find it interesting is the fact that humans are a curious lot. They want so much knowledge. They want all sorts of tangible, measurable proofs before they would believe. But this pursuit has made them blind to all the proofs that God has already provided. Instead the more they explore, the more godless they become. People used to believe thunder and lightning were God's acts. But now since they have an "explanation" that thunder and lightning are

...caused by atmospheric perturbations (wind, humidity, friction, and atmospheric pressure) and the impact of solar wind and accumulation of charged solar particles. Ice inside a cloud is thought to be a key element in lightning development, and may cause a forcible separation of positive and negative charges within the cloud, thus assisting in the formation of lightning.

But don't they see that God created the wind, the humidity, the friction, the atmospheric pressure, the ice inside a cloud, the law of positive and negative charges... so why couldn't lightning be an act of God then?

Science may tell us the How but Revelation tells us the Who.

6 comments:

Intan Saleh said...

i've told you dan brown's has recurring storyline kan? i've also read 'deception point' and 'digital fortress'. after a while dah boleh teka sapa org jahat. his books make you think - mana satu 'real' fact and mana satu fact dia dah twist or manipulate to fit the plot.. ahaha!

أم الليث said...

yep..i noticed it after reading 2 books but now confirmed after reading 3!

semestinya ada:
org penting yg mati/cedera pada awal cerita
perempuan yg tolong dia tu ada hubungan dgn org yg mati/cedera tu e.g. cucu, anak, adik
ada org jahat yg paksa robert langdon ikut symbol2 utk dpt answers
org jahat semuanya psycho
ada aje pegawai yg menjadi penghalang robert langdon or kejar dia and pegawai2 ni sumenya perangai keras and pelik
pas tu ada twist in the end..org yg kita sangkakan baik rupanya jahat

hehe tu la..sape baca buku ni kene keep in mind that most of it is fiction. kalau tak, naya gak kalau terima bulat2. kahkah. cerita dia coincidence sgt. i don't believe a human being can plan that well (angels n demons)... how did he know the bomb wouldn't go off before he planned?

Anonymous said...

I read all!!!!

hehe but the last one; The Lost Symbol for me was a bit of a let down. I expected more of symbolism facts (or myths) from the book.

My favourite is the Angel and Demon, I read more than twice kot! Best bila baca how twisted and confusing other's beliefs are. Most of the things that for them is a foreign concept, I assume mecause of our faith I can openly accept the concept. Takla terus2 tak percaya or percaya bulat2, more like makes me think about things more.

Yess sangat la typical jalan cerita :). Tapi I like Langdon's passion about symbols and history. I myself is not a big fan of history (of any kind), but baca buku2 ni macam menarik pulak heeheee

Lollies said...

Excellent. I will definitely use the pointers with the children for one of our tawheed discussions one day, Insya Allah.

I am imagining a scene where they explain all these theory and they would go bla bla bla. Then they ask any question, and someone said, "I do believe in this theory. But who created the wind, the humidity, the pressure, molecules, atom and so on?"

Zaid said...

i agree with your science-religion analysis of the books though to me brown must be the corniest author ever!

and yes, the ending of lost symbol was absolutely pointless and a huge anticlimax. da vinci code is the best for me, the ramifications of its premise sent shockwaves throughout the world.

Zidni said...

ive read all except lost symbol. can already guess the plot. but i agree with your point on the additional facts that dan brown has thrown in the book