Anyways.
On the surgical ward (there's two of them, north wing and south wing); they have a whiteboard at each nursing station. On that whiteboard the nurses write down things that they want us to do (instead of 10 of them coming upon us at the same time). It's quite a good system. Less paging too. If the to-do list gets longer, then they'll bleep us.
Most of my time is spent clearing the whiteboard.
Things I like seeing on the whiteboard (besides it being empty of course)
Bed 8 - INR 5.6
Bed 22 - K 2.9
Bed 13 - r/v CXR
Bed 3- BP 180/78
Because they are problems and solving them is like solving a mystery. It's fun and mind-challenging.
What I don't like to see on the board
Bed 15- jelco resite
Bed 27- jelco resite
Bed 30- jelco resite
Bed 1- blood cultures
It's so freaking annoying!! Why la can't the nurses just do them for God's sake!
Oh and other things I don't like
Bed 22- pt refused IDC
Bed 16- pt family wants to talk to doctor
I also think some nurses have a problem with prioritising. As illustrated by the following scenarios over the phone.
N: i have a patient here who needs his medications written up now
Me: what meds?
N: his regular meds
Me: then it can wait a while. I'll be there later.
N: i have a patient here who needs a request slip for post gentamicin levels. This is really important, it has to be done now.
Me: can you call the other intern, I have a sick* patient to manage
N: I already did and she told me to call you
Me: (argh dalam hati) what do you want me to do..I'm about to call a met call for my patient here
N: Okay I'll find someone else to do it
Me: THANKS!
N: i have a patient here whose blood pressure is 170/80. please see her now.
Me: what was her blood pressure before this?
N: It's been 170 systolic for the past 3 days.
Me: Okay, I'll see her later (dalam hati: 3 hari BP tu dah tinggi..tetiba hari ni kene jumpa sekarang! mestilah home team knew about it already)
I love these kind of nurses:
N: I have a patient who needs his regular medications written up. When you can find the time, can you come over?
Me: Certainly. Will be there soon.
N: I have a patient with increasing pain. Would you be able to come and write up some pain killers?
Me: No worries. I'll be there as soon as I can.
:D
*Yes, yes I know all patients in hospital are sick hee hee. The term "sick patients" mean that they are acutely unwell. Fast pulse rate, low blood pressure, low oxygen saturation, breathlessness, altered mental state etc2.
8 comments:
Penat tp best ek jadi doctor, dulu my ambition was to be a doc, tp tak cukup pandai and takut/mabuk/geli darah hehehe...all the best to u dear
k sara- hahaha ada ke ckp tak cukup pandai. tak perlu straight A in spm to be a doctor pun. need good thinking skills and good manners aje.
as i've written in previous entry, there are more disgusting things than blood kihkih
I pun suka gak yang
Bed 8 - INR 5.6
Bed 22 - K 2.9
Bed 13 - r/v CXR
Bed 3- BP 180/78
I pun tiba-tiba rasa nak solve itu clue.
oohh is that what they do at the white board? I tengok kat cerita ER aje ada white board. ala-ala noticeboard gitu.
wah.. jargon yg agak complex. nih kene biasa dgn medical terms nih
wow that means i was so acutely unwell, very sick, fast pulse rate, low bp tapi masa kat emergency tu , d nurses rilex jer...bengang betui hehehe...
now if i see white board again in private practise, surely i'll remember this entry :)
lollies- kat ER tak sempat kot nak ada whiteboard camni. doctor tak tengok punya hehehe. itu cerita ER aje la. in real life emergency department is not like that drama at all.
+ zidni - hehe jargons indeed.
INR is a blood test that shows how quickly or slowly the blood clots. if it's high (5.6) then the blood is very thin and clots slowly.
K is the symbol for potassium. low potassium in the blood can cause heart disturbance, muscle spasm and neurological symptoms.
zan- entah la..cant speak for the nurses. kdg2 cam bengong gak. patient sick pun tak panggil doctor. entah apa dia pk.
ada yg bagus...sebelum pt tu become sick dah panggil kita.
sometimes the vital signs (BP, heart rate) can be abnormal but the patient looks well. one of the most important skill a doctor has is the ability to just LOOK at a patient and tell whether he/she is well or unwell.
you mean there is no clooney and dr carter? oh disappointing. (somehow ER is still the best medic drama). Grey anatomy is just full of kisah cinta.
hehehe more like dr patel and dr koothrapali.
it is a great drama actually, i agree. better than house too. but all of them are nonsense hehehe
Post a Comment