My cousin Azalea asked me how do I feel being a doctor. Simple question but difficult answer. So instead of just answering in the chatbox I'll answer here.
Truth be told, I LOVE being a doctor. I like asking patients about their problems in clinic/ward. They love the attention they're getting from me. Sometimes all they want is attention and someone being sympathetic to them.
Like one time a patient complain of nausea. She kept complaining of it until the nurse was fed up and demanded that I increase the dose of anti-nausea medication. I went to see the patient. She did feel quite sick. I let her complain and whinge and when she felt like she was going to retch I told her to sit up and I patted/rubbed her back (you know how it feels like if you feel like you're gonna vomit; lega skit kalau orang tepuk2 belakang). Got some ice cubes for her to suck and spent some time with her. And after that she said she felt a lot better (and I didn't have to give her extra anti-nausea drugs).
But what I keep whinging about being a doctor is all the P.O.L.I.T.I.C.S, hierarchy, paperwork and unsavoury human interactions. It is all extremely vexing and sometimes very menyakitkan hati.
Hate list
1. Rude patients and relatives
2. Delirious patients who are unintentionally rude and difficult. Pernah kene marah ngan delirious patient because nak ambik darah dia. He shouted at me and said "Stupid! Use your brain!". Boleh rasa tak ikhlas tau nak tolong orang camni. Kadang-kadang ada jugak rasa kalau dia mati lagi bagus. Memang teruk tapi kene sabar. Lagipun bukan salah dia berperangai camtu.
3. Obnoxious consultants whose demands are unfeasible
4. Allied health and hospital protocols that we have to follow and get in trouble if we don't do it to the dot. Have to fill in this form to do this, that form to do that. This form needs to be faxed, that one needs to be sent in person. Need to fill forms online, offline, underline and overline. Laa dee daa laa dee daa.
5. Rude, over-demanding, stubborn, think-they-know-it-all nurses who sometimes refuse to cooperate and don't understand that their issues is not the only issue we have to deal with that day
6. Also nurses yang malas ambik darah, put in IV drip and semuanya tinggalkan untuk kitorang buat - macam tak cukup kerja lain aje
So there's my answer. I'm sure it's the same in any profession you can name. You might enjoy some aspect of the job but there will always be something to whinge about. Selagi mana kita deal dengan manusia, selagi tu la ada je benda yang tak best dan menyakitkan hati.
7 comments:
salam...
yeah... totaly n abslutely correct... kerenah manusia ne kadang2 boleh menyebabkan jadi tak ikhlas... tapi tu la Allah nak uji sejauh mana keikhlasan kita... :)
BTW, If you hv frens in malaysia, mehlah tlg promote makan malam amal utk tabung perubatan gaza - anjuran AMAN PALESTIN...
http://www.amanpalestin.net/
haha..office politics tu mana2 je tau. mana2 je...kalau kat co. akak ni banyak betul cerita dengar laki orang tu ngorat pompuan ni, bini org tu buat gini gini. Astaghfirullah. macam tak ada agama je.
salam nihas, sape ni ek.
i know what u mean but saje nak betulkan..yes i do have frens in malaysia. i am not friendless :p
but i'm sure all of them already know about the event anyway
kak aini- itu la. sama je mana2 pon. tp bab ngorat tu teruk la. religion aside pun, it is not professional la. bleh sue for sexual harassment. kalau org islam, lagi la tak snonoh camni. spoil working environment aje la.
i suka dengar cerita doc2 nie hehehe...u can vent out here abt your crappy days, i like to read them!
i wonder what made the consultants so obnoxious? bukan dia start pun sama aje ke?
tapi well betul kan zan? this beat any medic drama. Introducing world, Dr. Aliya.
kak aliya~ana suke bace cerita2 akak as a doc. time2 nak release tension, blog akak atr yg ana baca tau2! u are the type yg passionate dgn kerja sebagai doc. ^___^ i adore u, Dr Aliya! :D
the "critical" nature of your profession maybe contributes to the overall tense and bureaucratic environment kot.
sebab medicine deals with not only quality-of-life but life/death situations daily...one small mistake can be disastrous.
Post a Comment