Back home...finally. Sometimes I thought Warragul would never end.
After my weekend shift, we went back home that night. I had to work on Monday.
I'm doing another Emergency rotation now except because it's at a bigger hospital; there's more support. Consultants and registrars are there all the time and are mostly happy to offer advice. No need for DIY medicine and guessing and looking up journals to find out how to manage patients. No more lying awake at night thinking I might have killed a patient by sending them home or caused a potential litigation for not ordering appropriate imaging.
I'm now on duty in the part of Emergency called DMU where I don't interview patients at all. They've all been managed in the actual Emergency department but are moved to DMU because they're on their way home or waiting for a ward bed but just waiting for blood test results, Xray results and letters to their GPs. I offer my signature wherever it's needed like MC and drug charts. That's my job at the moment. A no-brainer.
So what happens is the patients get sent over to me (usually with not much information). I have to decipher the history which are mostly ILLEGIBLE and do whatever is written there. I write the GP letter, prescription and look up the results on the computer. I then have to explain to the patient what their diagnosis is and what to do bla bla. Basically, it's the combination of the jobs that we dislike the most.
But, it's pretty cruisy and after Warragul; I do enjoy the air-head job description at the moment. The other thing I notice is that they're keeping patients and ordering unnecessary investigations just because we can; whereas in Warragul we would have sent them home already.
So glad to be back. I miss the familiar faces and the nice-mannered nurses. I also love not having much responsibility. I can sleep at night now. Insomnia- cured!
No comments:
Post a Comment