Saturday, 23 October 2010

Painless suturing

During downtimes (not many patients) I get the chance to read some of the books in the department. One of them was "Practice Tips" written by Prof Dr Murt@gh (well-known Australian GP). One of the chapters was "Painless suturing".

Wow! Cam mana tu.

His tip was to inject the local anaesthetic into the open wound itself, into the subcutaneous tissue. Biar betik...a needle right into the wound?

Anyway, I tried that today. The patient looked positively sick when I told him he needed stitches. I poked the needle right into the wound and injected the local. The patient didn't even flinch.

At the end of the suturing, he said "Wow, I didn't feel a thing".

Thanks, Dr Murt@gh! (pictured with hubby below)

3 comments:

Lollies said...

Wow! Wonder how did he come up with that masa mula2.

So it pays reading journals and med book and stuff.

Anonymous said...

woww! kagum!

@ lollies: or other dr's blog hehee.

أم الليث said...

lollies- hahaha learning never stops! what they say about medical school is true. 50% of it becomes obsolete by the time you start working.

rusy- haha are you taking tips from my blog? LOL hope not. takde randomised controlled trial.