I happened to come across an article in Reader's Digest titled "Be honest, you like it, really". The article was about being busy and stressed. Modern life has evolved into a competition on who is the busiest person and who can get the most things done in the least amount of time. According to the article, the weird thing is that despite many complaints, people actually are addicted to this stressful life.
Multitasking is the ultimate example. No one really does one thing at a time anymore. We try to do as many things as we possibly can at the same time. We browse 4 different internet pages at the same time. We plug our ears with something while reading something while talking to someone while typing something else. While we're doing some other work, in our mind we're thinking, planning, organising and budgeting. Digital onslaught of the senses.
Anyway, since reading that I thought I didn't want to be like that. So I started doing things slowly and with more focus. I tried to do one thing at a time. A bit slow but you know what, I was less stressed. No more unnecessary sense of extreme urgency. And I actually enjoyed myself. And no more racing thoughts at night keeping me from sleep.
Perhaps the quality of the things we do might be better too.
5 comments:
Salam,
Doc u r lucky if you r able to do that..
but somehow, in others working culture mmg kena MULTITASKING....
jangan MATI kerana OVER TASKING sudah lah....harapnya...hihihi...
try to do it one thing at one time but we can't. neh atas meja ada 3 benda berbeza nak kena hadap sekali gus... mmg pecah kepala dibuatnya.... stress...
tapi the advice given is good... thanx ya...
do you have the complete article of "Be honest, you like it, really"?
hope can share...thanx btw...
TC...
salam,
3 benda berbeza kene hadap sekaligus, yes that is the doctor's working culture and that is what stresses us a lot. cumanya it is not possible to do 3 things at once without compromising the quality at least 1-2 of them. i have made several silly mistakes by doing things on autopilot. nasib baik tak compromise patient safety too badly.
that article is in reader's digest but it's an old reader's digest. tak sure tahun bila. i'll find it again (i read it at work).
yang i ingat thi time round i took it slower with my classes with my kids. I personally think, it has more benefit. We can even make revision and I have time to probe questions about older lessons. yeah topic goes lambat sikit tapi better quality kan?
inshaAllah better quality kan. lagipun nak kejar apa? lagi2 study islam. lagi lama belajar, lagi banyak pahala hehehe.
i am so less stressed with this attitude at work. phew
same thing for me at work... working slowly on one little thing to get to the quality... i was suddenly the odd one out! stood out as if i didn't finish the work at all. pretty heavy psychological peer-pressure/conformity stuff.
Post a Comment