This morning I went to ED again to have an MRI. The consultant said yesterday that this was the only way I could get the scan for free; to get it done whilst a patient in the Emergency department.
I waited for another 2 hours before a familiar face called my name. Kak Lin got things organised for me. I'm glad she is working today instead of yesterday. She might have been the one who had to do the DRE on me (Ya Tuhan, malunya if that was the case!).
I had the MRI done (I hate that machine, the loud noise made my head want to explode and vomit) and then waited for another 2 hours for the results. I think if hubby didn't come and chased the results I would've waited for another few hours. I felt sick and had a headache but I didn't want to ask for any panadol because I know how annoying it is when I worked and I needed to write up panadol just coz patient has a headache.
As I waited, the staff thought I was having a lunch break from work. I had to tell them, "No, I'm a patient today". Oh, they said. And proceeded to do the necessary obs taking (BP, HR, Sa02). I realised that patients waiting around in ED do not get food or drink until they are admitted. Which could be almost half a day. Kesiannya.
Anyhoo, the MRI shows that I have a small disc prolapse at a different place than the last time (in 2005).
Got told by the intern to take analgesia, do physiotherapy and take up pilates. He offered to prescribe tramadol, diazepam and diclofenac but I told him we already have heaps at home, thanks.
On our way out, we bumped into the Infectious Disease registrar Muhammad (friend of hubby's). Apparently the grapevine was good enough that he knew I was there. He is also the chronic pain registrar. He told me to take at least a week off or more even and some other instructions. Hey, I even got a chronic pain consultation for free. Excellent service around here, excellent.
Now I just have to appease my guilty conscience about taking the days off. I'm sure my registrar is unduly inconvenienced by all this. This week was going to be a very busy week. 3-4 discharges daily.
7 comments:
Pls follow the doctor's advice. People said, a doctor makes a lousy patient!
memang lousy patient betul huhu
It has been quite a while since I visited your old blog. This will be my first comment here :)
I'm sure taking day off will be good for your pain.
But perhaps this experience will make you a better doctor. Another disc? Syafakillah dear. Listen to the doctor tau.
Not that you are not a good doctor lah tapinya
hafiz- apa khabar? hope you update your blog more often. lama tak dengar khabar kawan2 melbourne dulu. how is work & married life?
lollies- hehe you are right. being a patient made me realise my own faults and prejudices too.
and i have gotten over feeling guilty abt taking MC. well, it's not like i sengaja nak ambik MC. so i am going to be an obedient patient. so far so good Alhamdulillah. Pain under control.
Take care and get well soon.
Post a Comment