At work, "quiet" is considered a taboo word. You can't say it because everyone believes that once you say "It's quiet now isn't it", soon after that it will get very busy.
If you say the word "quiet", people will either tell you off or say "touch wood" or "Don't jinx the shift!"
I think this has an element of shirk in it.
Personally I believe that if someone says "Alhamdulillah it's quiet" then we are being grateful for being given a reprieve. But if you say it in an ungrateful tone, then of course after that things will become busier.
7 comments:
I agree. I know a lot of people who do, well, believe in saying a word will jinx things, and truth is, you're right, there is an element of shirk in it.
I try to remind myself everytime such situation occur. Like, recently, ramadhan, our dapur gas was running for months on end without having to change the tong gas. Apparently both my mum and I noticed it but didn't say anything to each other, in a way, duk fikir, cakap besar sangat nanti kang habis gas tetiba.
So thanks for the reminder, to always attribute it back to Allah and that way, even if the inevitable happens, we are fully aware that it is from Allah.
nusayba, bila sebut, tang tu la nak jadi. pst, pst, nusayba, i met crimsonskye for the first time yesterday.
I never really understand the touch wood thingy. So does 'simpang malaikat 44'.
But having said that, I don't talk about buying a new car while in the soon-to-be-replaced car. Or cerita pasal car crash dalam moving car. hihih
As long as we don't think that whatever we say is the reason why something happens. Then we start thinking it's bad luck/jinx whereas it was going to happen anyway even when/if we didn't say anything.
People always think of bad omens..but never good omens. Rasulullah liked good omens.
And macam nusayba kata...entah2 benda tu terjadi sebab we sound arrogant/takabbur so Allah wanted to remind us.
kak nina, in the book i gave you (fundamentals of tawheed) ada pasal "touch wood" hehehe
You know what.. The so-called situation where the use of 'too quiet' or 'its quiet isnt it', or in this specific case "quiet board" - referring to the surgical notice board dalam cerita Grey's Anatomy. hahahha.. sama je situation. ingatkan dlm cerita tu je, rupanya mmg ppl practice it in realy life eh. Sbr je la.
hahahaha drama tu semua mesti ada ilhamnya from real life kahkah
Post a Comment