Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Initiation by fire

Retrospectively I am extremely grateful that I was sent to Warragul for a term in Emergency. Because I think I learnt at least 85% whereas currently I am only learning 15% perhaps?

This time around we don't get to see Cat 1 & 2 patients. (Not that I want to, don't get me wrong). But there won't be a lot of learning opportunities.

In fact, the intern is so insignificant that no-one would notice if you weren't there. All of our patients have to be double checked by the consultant. Time-consuming and sometimes demeaning. After all, we are inexperienced, not stupid.

Which makes me conclude, that the only way to learn effectively is to learn through hardship. Being forced to face your fears (mine was Paediatric patients) and climb out of your comfort zone.

Despite the painful experience (I wouldn't want to go back, of course), but I appreciate it now. Because now I can be happy lounging in my comfort zone at the moment because I've already done most of the learning at Warragul. There's more to learn, of course...but it can take some time. Heeeeee :)

Favourite patients:
Young women 19-30 age range (gynae problems- love it)
Any young person presenting with right side abdominal pain (usually surgical- simple)
Fractures (simple- refer ortho or put a plaster on)
People with renal stones/gallstones (also quite effective to manage)

Least preferred patients:
Anyone older than 75 (too complex)
Multiple presenters (whatever they have is usually psychogenic- time wasting just to get them out again)
People with drug dependencies (aggressive, abusive, hard to get rid of)
Chest pain (urgh, just hate the process of managing it)
Ulcers, gangrenous extremities, malaena (common factor: the stench)
Teenagers (especially histrionic female ones - tak kose!)

2 comments:

Ummu Auni said...

kalau gall stones tu macam mana yer? is there any medication to get rid of it? tanya tu bukan apa, ada sekali dr jumpa gall stones masa scan.

أم الليث said...

most of us would have gallstones. esp orang high cholesterol. but they won't cause any problem unless they irritate the gallbladder wall or move and become stuck on their way out of the gallbladder. time ni akan sakit (dpt biliary colic) and ada yg boleh dpt infection/jaundice. so time ni baru la keluarkan gallbladder via surgery. otherwise we let them be aje. ;)