Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Summary

At nearly the end of 5 weeks I'm not sure if GP is the specialty for me anymore. What I can summarise is:

GP work: help lots of people but with mundane problems, a lot of variety
Specialist: help not that many people but those that are seen have significant problems, very limited scope
Radiologist: sees Xrays, CT scans and MRI and Ultrasound all day long
Pathologist: sees dead bodies, bodily organ specimens and fluids all day long
I'm starting to think maybe I want to try radiology! I am not patient with people. I might seem polite and interested in front of them but sometimes they bore me to death or irritate me with their attitudes. I got fed up with people only after 5 weeks! Imagine being a GP for 35 years.

Maybe it depends on the demographics of the society that you live in?
But I have seen a lot of:
1. Vain patients - wanting to get rid of a small spot on her knee so that she can wear short skirts

2. People wanting to be cured immediately for a shallow purpose - wanting me to cure her eczema quickly so that she can wear a bikini in summer and not have to cover her legs, wanting me to assure her she is not pregnant after she had unprotected sex with a stranger and now doesn't want her boyfriend to know

3. Useless people- people claiming pain and disability so they can live of the pension given by the government and remain unemployed

4. People who want to be cured instantaneously and are disappointed with you when you tell them it takes time to heal - especially so for musculoskeletal conditions

5. Know-it- all patients - people who come into the clinic with a diagnosis from the internet and then are disappointed at you when they are proven wrong by your history taking, examination or investigations! Bersyukurlah takde penyakit2 tuuuuuu

6. The medical certificate and antibiotic seeker - requires patient, lengthy explanation... *sigh*

7. The depressed patients... they go on and on forever about why their life is so crap, the world is against them, everything goes wrong in their life bla bla bla

Last but not least,
8. Patients who do not shower, wash their hair or feet...uwaaaaaa bushukkkkkkkk. I probably need to sterilise my stethoscope at some point. It's been through a lot of sticky, sweaty backs and chests.

There were a lot of lovely patients too by the way. I dunno, maybe things will change when one earns money. You overlook these things. I dunno. We'll see. :)

No comments: