Station 1: Fever in returned traveller. It has been drilled into us that this would be malaria until proven otherwise so it was quite alright. Probably the only station where I still could ask the patient questions until the time ran out.
Other stations I ran out of things to ask and always had 1 minute extra to twiddle my thumbs.
I thought I gave correct differentials in this station (meningitis, dengue) but the examiner looked skeptic.
Station 2: Heart murmur of all things! Uwaaaaaaaaaa
I'm so bad at heart examination. Valvular heart disease is my least favourite subject. I even prefer renal disease over valves. Read the ECG but it didn't tell me anything useful. Turns out there were signs of ventricular hypertrophy.
This is why I hate doing examination aje without any history taking whatsoever. I'm not even sure what to look for.
Station 3: Basic life support! Yeay!!!!
Danger, Response, Airway, Breathing, Circulation- D, R, A, B, C ...besh!
The examiner was so cool. We had extra time at the end and he even said "You did excellent" and then he gave some basic life support tips and said "...it's for next year". Wah bersemangat keluar from this station.
Station 4: Epigastric pain
Urgh. Hated this one. Patient was not helpful (berlakon terlampau sakit la konon) and the examiner didn't even pay attention to what I was saying. How could he mark me then!!?!?!? And then he was really rude and insulting to me. Treated me like I were stupid and then asking me which clinical school I was from as if that explained the stupidity.
One of the questions was: Considering she has had some pain before, what would be your differential diagnosis? He didn't even let me answer this question because he said my history was "limited" and apparently I didn't ask the patient specifically about this. I did ask "have you had any kind of pain there before" but the patient said no during the interview!!
So he didn't let me answer that question and put a BIG zero (as if a small zero wasn't enough) in the marking sheet next to that question. Unfair! I felt extremely dejected after this station; rasa cam tak nak bother dah buat exam.
Station 5: Osteoarthritis of the hip. Hip examination. Easy peasy lemon squeasy.
It's a good thing I didn't end with the horrible examiner, otherwise I'd be feeling awful right now!
Alhamdulillah dah selesai! Harap-harap pass!
One more exam to go, next Thursday
1 comment:
I LOVE the heart station!! Thanks to my cardio rotation! there were signs of first degree heart block and old infarct. Epigastric was okay but could've asked more. it's unfair for the examiner to skip the question even though you didn't specifically asked for this. and which clinical school did you go to?? wth...
Post a Comment