Thursday, 12 November 2009

Exam Part I

Like the words of Kevin McAllister in the movie Home Alone:

This is it.
Don't get scared now.


(Addendum at 3.11PM)

Well, first practical exam now over and done with. Felt quite alright after it. Pretty sure I didn't do too well in one station but the others were ok. The examiner plays a big role in how you feel at the end of each station. Horrible examiners make me feel like I have failed it. Nice examiners make me feel like I have aced it.

Today's stations:
1. Patient with asthma, worsening symptoms. Discuss why. Evaluate his inhaler technique and make comments. Teach him how to use a spacer. Short term management plan for his worsening asthma.

2. Station with no examiner..yehooo!! Just 1 Xray, 1 brain CT and urine test. Answer questions based on the tests. Not enough time though.

3. Female patient whose driver's license was suspended because she had an epileptic fit while having a breathlyser test. Really not sure what the instruction was.. take an epilepsy history? driving history? history of presenting complaint i.e. suspended license???? And how la would I know how long a driver's license would be suspended..tanya la polis trafik.

4. Patient comes in with dizziness. Benign Positional Vertigo. I think I nailed this one..first time ever in my exams I answered all the questions correctly. FIRST TIME! I think seeing 4 patients with vertigo during GP placement was helpful.

5. Pregnant patient with vomiting. Certainly it was pregnancy related but I had to ask everything to exclude food poisoning (unlikely), meds, neurological disease..adoi.. even after 6 minutes blur tak tau nak tanya apa dah. Diagnosed it correctly as hyperemesis gravidarum but when asked to explain how to treat it...erm erm.. anti nausea medication? I don't really know how coz I myself never had morning sickness when I was pregnant hehehe.

Next, tomorrow!

2 comments:

muna khaider said...

all the best akak for osce today!
habis exam semua bile kak?
ade written exam ke final year ni?

أم الليث said...

thanks muna
no written exam..all practical. next thurs baru habis..long case examination