Sunday, 31 January 2010

So far...

I like the work that I'm doing now because it mostly involves discharging patients and no admissions whatsoever heehehehe. Sape suka boleh mintak shift AOW next rotation okay? :p

There's just the right balance of clerical work and clinical work. I'm good at clerical work - anything involving computers and printers I can do quite well. Most of the time. I won't elaborate about the time I printed 6 pages of discharge summary on prescription paper. Oops.. .

Clinical work is not too bad. I'm just not confident enough to make decisions. I've learnt how to say No to the nurses though. Just because I'm new, they take for granted that I might be impressionable. Sure I would take their suggestions in but I will check it first with the guidelines, MIMS and what nots. At the end of the day, it's my signature on the drug chart or letters so let me decide what to do coz I'm the one accountable for it.

Alhamdulillah it's a whole new exciting experience getting a paycheck every 2 weeks. Facing the hullaballoo at work with red tape, politics, backstabbing and backbiting doesn't seem as bad as it was when I was a medical student. I can sort of endure it for the sake of money. Teruk kan. Memang materialistic betul hihi.

The best thing of all about my shift is I work 7 days straight then I get a break for 7 days. Too cool! Too cool! Bila off duty rasa puas hati boleh selesaikan banyak benda + rehat. 2 day weekend is not enough to rest and settle one's errands and kemas rumah! I start at 7.15 and finish at 6. Every day I make it a point to finish my work before 5.30 so that I can go home on time. So far I've never stayed more than 6.03pm. No sirree. Forgive me for not being an altruistic doctor but that is not my entirely life. As long as they're not paying me for overtime, I won't be the model employee who comes super early and goes back super late. Hehehe.

5 comments:

Lollies said...

You madeit sound so easy. I rasa macam nak apply jadi doktor lah. ahaks!

haundem said...

i like the flexibility, nnt dh hbs houseman(the same term ke?)boleh 7-7 arrangement juga ke?bestnyeee!

p/s registrar ni cmne plak?

أم الليث said...

lollies- ahaks.. i told u i cant complain abt my work!

haundem- arrangement ni utk first 10 weeks aje for this posting only. after this the arrangement will change depending on the kind of shift i get.

registrar is a doctor who has entered a training program to become a specialist. they would be my onsite boss/mentor/advisor

Zidni said...

Nice. There's nothing better than actually feeling the balance between life & work.

I haven't felt the balance that much and I still don't.

أم الليث said...

Zidni- it really depends on the expectations of your boss and your own level of "guilt". Like for me..boleh aje handover kerja kat night doctor and balik on time at 6pm on the dot walaupun kerja tak abis. plus some things that I didn't finish on a certain day I leave it to be done tomorrow because it is not that urgent kalau pk balik. but if i follow my "guilt" and obsession of having my to do list empty..alamatnya maybe kul 8pm baru balik rumah! but i promise myself to go home on time. bnyk benda tak urgent pun but we feel it's urgent.