All the flurry of activities are (almost) over. Major life events have passed so quickly that I haven't had the chance to actually savour them or think them over. Too busy being busy!!!
So I graduated on the 5th of Dec. Felt really proud of myself and my friends. Felt a lot of pride and sense of accomplishment. 6 years (and more) of study finally completed.
Then on the 7th Dec I registered with the Medical Board of Victoria and formally (and legally) became Dr. We were reminded that graduation was the day to be proud, but that registration day was the day to be humble. We read the Declaration of Geneva (modern version of Hippocratic Oath) loudly all together... most of its contents were mainly to just be a good, decent person (and doctor).
As time passes and the congratulations cease and my family goes home, a sense of reality kicks in and I realise that in about a month's time I will be thrown into the deep end of the swimming pool without much floating assistance to be held. I may have a degree (heck, two of them) but I can't say much about how confident I am about my clinical knowledge. Sometimes I look back and wish I had been a better medical student; more hardworking at least.
Whatever it is, yes, the euphoria is over. But I'm still going to enjoy my new house for the time being. I'm also going to enjoy feeling proud of being a Dr. now. I'm sure on January 13th (my first day of work), I'll be brought down a few notches and be reminded that I am at the bottom of the food chain where hospital politics are concerned and I am not special or an individual; just a glorified (but paid!) clerk.
No comments:
Post a Comment